While reading the Seattle PI this morning, I read a piece from The Ghost Towns of Washington series about some parts of Concrete, WA being deserted and fantastically spooky in the most traditional ghost town sense!
I left with Sabrina and Charlie mid-morning, and set out for Burlington and a quick charge at the CHAdeMO station in the Outlet Shoppes' parking lot. From Burlington, we enjoyed the colorful drive east on WA-20 into Concrete.
![]() |
| Lots of colors and large maple leaves today! |
![]() |
The concrete silos of Concrete are appropriate "Welcome..." monoliths for this town.
|
Concrete has a quaint little main drag with a welcoming bakery and a movie theatre advertising a free family movie night. However, there is no avoiding that Concrete is, in fact, slowly becoming a ghost town with the ruins of concrete buildings left standing as indestructible remains of a former bustling industry decades ago.
From Concrete, we drove the small climb out of town to reach the southern shores of Lake Shannon. We soon came upon a large abandoned building where, more than 50 years ago, limestone was crushed from local quarries. To say that this place scared the bejeebers out of me was the biggest Halloween understatement of my life!
![]() |
| Chainsaw massacre?!? Not today, please. |
The strange thing about this place is that it is completely accessible. Even a five-year-old and two-year-old were able to run about whilst I freaked out.
![]() |
| Evidence of perhaps my all-time biggest "bad daddy" moment. |
We explored the inside for about 15 minutes, in which time Sabrina convinced me that ghosts do exist. It was an extremely stressful, and strangely delightful, experience. I do not think, though, that I plan to go back any time soon!
![]() |
| Dad, let's get out of here! |
Once we made it back into town, Sabrina spotted a small community playground. I was on the same page in wanting to get us to a place of joy. I thought that if I let the kids play, the nightmares that the three of us were likely to have may just be erased.
![]() |
| This was the picture that I sent to Tanya while we were gone :) |







Looks like a great trip for you and the kids! Hope they didn't have any nightmares. ~Midge
ReplyDeleteHi Midge! It's kind of funny...Sabrina is drawing a lot of ghosts and goblins this week. I think that she had fun:)
ReplyDelete