Sep 14, 2013

EVangelism: How to Convince a Tall Guy to Buy a LEAF?

A few days ago, a local EV owner sent me a message about a fella he knew who was interested in the Nissan LEAF.  It turned out, that the "fella" was named Alex, and was actually a tall drink of water, like myself, at 6'4".  Apparently, Alex had inquired about the LEAF with some owners and had even gone on a test drive at a local Nissan dealership, but was hesitant in pulling the trigger on a purchase.

From the factory, the LEAF is not accommodating for tall drivers.  Considering that the LEAF is sold in seven of the Top 10 Tallest Countries in the world, not designing for tall drivers is an oversight on Nissan's part.  At 6'11", I have figured out how to get our LEAFs to work.  And getting things adjusted so that it just works is what being in the 99th percentile (for height!) is all about.  Alex must have figured that whatever I was doing may work for himself.  We decided to meet.

That's more than 13' of dudes right there!
We decided to meet at Peter Kirk Park in Kirkland for the show-n-tell, as the location was not far from Alex's residence.  I had Sabrina and Charlie with me, so having a nearby playground was a priority. There was EVSE nearby, too, just in case I needed to charge before returning home.  Alex and his lovely wife arrived, and were excited about trying out the LEAF.  Seeing that there were two of them and three of us, I decided to go ahead and just toss them the key fob to take the car on a test drive.  Yes, I can fit in a LEAF.  No, I am not a miracle.  Thinking about fitting all five of us in the car is both comical and absurd.

It used to be difficult for me to let anybody drive my ride, no matter how well I knew them.  With the LEAF, so much has changed.  Driving an electric car is so much different, so much more fun, so much of a complete shift in how a vehicle can be, that I now look forward to the opportunities in having people drive my car.  With EVs, the importance of getting butts in seats to help drivers decide on a purchase is so true. I hope that Alex enjoyed the drive, and chooses an EV for his next vehicle.  That's what I was preaching today; EVangelsim.



No comments:

Post a Comment