Mar 9, 2013

An EV Enthusiast?

Many folks say that America's obsession with their cars is waning.  Are internet-enabled, app-sprouting cell phones going to take over as our most beloved inanimate possessions?  CNN, among others, believe so:  Why Young Americans Ditch Their Cars.

When I was a young buck, spending five or six hours on a Saturday washing and waxing my car was not just pleasure, it was duty.  I was supposed to do it.  I was supposed to buff my car with a diaper.  I was supposed to cruise the town with my pals, or by myself for goodness sakes.  After all, that car was the embodiment of my character, however delusional that likely was.  

Fast forward a couple of decades...who has the time to spend loving on a car when there are so many things competing for my time, sweat, and money.  My obsession with cars was not just on hiatus, it was dead.  That is until I saw a quirky movie called Who Killed the Electric Car?.  It was the beginning of The Great Recession, and now electric cars seemed to be the future of practicality...of saving money.  I became obsessed with these cars called EVs.  When we bought our LEAF in August of 2012, I had developed a one-track mind for no-gas.  Money saving led to an infatuation with the LEAF...the love affair with the automobile was back!  

Standing Around Talking About ( Electric) Cars
This weekend, a group of EV enthusiasts got together at a little coffee house to share our passion for the Nissan LEAF and EVs.  Sure, there weren't any burn-outs, and it was a little weird to pop the hood on an electric car to chat kilowatts.  But is sure was fun.  There is something about being with like-minded people to share stories and excitement for something.  At one point during the day, I thought about popping the LEAF's charging port door to show the world the car's two, read:  TWO!, charging inlets.  This sucker can take on 100 amps with the best of them.  

Kidding aside, electric vehicles are surely going to play a big part in rekindling America's love for the automobile.  They are practical, fun, and, dare I say, "hip."  Once the cost of batteries comes down, EVs will be accessible to young drivers, too.  I've even seen a poster at the mall of an electric fantasy car.  After all, iPhones are sooo 2007.


No comments:

Post a Comment